Davis, CA 95616
Fax: (530) 758-8521
Welcome to the Short Term Emergency Aid Committee Website
Welcome to the Short Term Emergency Aid Committee, better known around Yolo County as STEAC (spelled differently, but pronounced the same as the steak, the meat). STEAC is one of the oldest nonprofit organizations in the county and is located in Davis, a central California community some 15 miles west of Sacramento.
A volunteer-oriented organization, STEAC's purpose is to provide immediate, short-term emergency assistance with basic necessities to families and individuals in Yolo County, California, whose incomes are at or below the federal poverty level.
Founded in 1967, STEAC provides rental and utility assistance and food to those in need. Over the years, STEAC has come to be recognized as providing a critical safety net for those whose needs cannot be met by other charitable or government agencies. For needy residents, STEAC is often the agency of last resort for assistance.
OTHER STEAC WORK
For nearly 50 years, STEAC has been providing emergency assistance to poverty-level county residents, including cash assistance for rent and utilities to prevent evictions or help families and individuals get into permanent housing. Additionally, STEAC’s Suit Up for Success Program helps low-income residents find employment by providing work attire for job interviews. The nonprofit organization also distributes free food to over 3,000 individuals annually from a Davis closet.
“With grant funding shrinking, we rely more and more on private donations to serve families and individuals who otherwise would not make it on their own,” Baird said. “Our goal is to keep these families from becoming homeless.”
Cash donations may be sent to the STEAC office at 1900 E. Eighth St., Davis, CA 95616. STEAC is a nonprofit organization that has earned tax-exempt status from the IRS, which means all donations are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law (IRS ID #94-6138684).
STEAC's volunteers provide assistance to residents who are referred by public and nonprofit agencies. After a screening, the volunteers determine whether residents qualify for assistance from any of these programs:
Eviction Prevention Program
Utility Assistance Program
First Month's Rent Program
Educational Assistance Program
Suit Up for Success Program
Free Food Program
Community Volunteers Program
LIMITATIONS ON STEAC SERVICE
GEOGRAPHIC AND ASSISTANCE LIMITATIONS
- STEAC provides emergency assistance only to residents who live in Yolo County, including the communities of Davis, Woodland, West Sacramento, Dunnigan, Esparto, Knights Landing, Madison, Winters, Yolo and the rural areas.
- Emergency assistance is provided ONLY to low-income residents.
- STEAC does not provide service to residents of any other county and does not have information about similar programs in other counties in California or in other states.
- Those seeking assistance from STEAC MUST BE REFERRED by a nonprofit group or government agency. STEAC DOES NOT provide service directly to low-income residents.
- For information on services by other agencies, call the phone number 2-1-1.
- Information on emergency assistance by nonprofits and agencies and to determine if you qualify for referral to STEAC call:
- Yolo County Department of Employment and Social Services (YCDESS) in West Sacramento at 916-375-6200;
- YCDESS in Woodland at 530-661-2750;
- And in Davis the Davis Community Meals-Resource Center at 530-753-9204.
TYPES OF ASSISTANCE PROVIDED
For low-income Yolo County residents who qualify, STEAC Provides:
- Cash assistance up to $600 for first month's rent or for rental in order to prevent an eviction and up to $200 for assistance with Pacific Gas & Electric Bills every two years.
- Food from the Davis closet for Davis residents only once per month.
- Holiday gifts, food and coats for Davis residents with an annual Holiday Program.
ASSISTANCE WITH CLOTHING
CLOTHING -- Please note that STEAC no longer has a general clothes program. Donors, however, can donate clothes to STEAC's partners, All Things Right and Relevant (Open 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. at 2801 Spafford St., Davis. 530-759-9649) or My Sister's Closet (530 Main St., Woodland. 530-669-6739). These nonprofit groups sell the clothes, and the money is used for STEAC to purchase business attire for the Suit Up for Success Program.
BECOME A STEAC VOLUNTEER
As always, STEAC's staff and volunteers welcome e-mails at firstname.lastname@example.org or calls, especially from those interested in becoming a STEAC volunteer and making a charitable contribution to support our work. You can reach us at 530-758-8435.
HOW MANY ARE SERVED BY STEAC?
Here is a chart showing the number of low-income residents who were served by STEAC in 2013. It also shows where the clients live and which agency referred them to us for assistance.
STEAC WELCOMES -- REALLY WELCOMES -- CHARITABLE DONATIONS
STEAC relies overwhelmingly on donations from its Friends to provide the financial support for its programs. Complete information on ways to donate can be seen on the "Donate" links.
Please browse the site's interior pages for more information. Links to them are on the left.